0333 003 3161

Get a Quote

Where do you live?
Are you already travelling?
Trip type
Cover Start Date:
Cover End Date:
Number of travellers
Travellers age(s)
Travelling as

Working while abroad

Non manual / clerical work is covered for free, if you'll be volunteering, WWOOFing or partaking in any sort of manual labour - our Activity Pack can cover you.

Get Cover if Already Travelling

You don't need to be in your Home Country to get cover, you can buy a policy from anywhere in the world, as long as you're residential status is still in the UK or EU. Just follow the Quote form to get a price and complete your purchase.

Home Visits covered

If policy duration is over 4 months: You can put your travels on hold and return home at any time, even if it's not necessary and you're just a bit homesick. We have no limits, so you can be back for as long as you like.

Extend cover from Overseas

If at any point you realise you're not quite ready to return home, you can extend your insurance to include the remainder of your trip. Even if you don't have a Policy with us.

No return ticket required

You don't need to know when you'll be returning home to get cover. So if you're on an open ended trip, or emigrating, we can cover you.

Cover for 120+ Activities

Whether you'll be scuba diving, jet skiing, bungee jumping, sky diving, trekking above 2,500m or kayaking. Our Activity Packs can cover various levels of adventurous sports.


Up to £10m Medical

24 hour Emergency

Cancellation & Baggage

Claim while you're

Gap Year Travel Insurance

Gap Year travel is one of life’s great adventures - so make the most of it!

It’s your chance to experience the world in all its wonders, thrills and challenges.

For Gap Year travellers we don’t just mean young people between school and university, or those between graduation and the start of a new career, it can be anyone of working age taking an extended break from their normal life to embark on a adventure abroad.Gap Year Travel Insurance

With international travel increasingly affordable, every part of the world is within reach and the possibilities are as limitless as your imagination. If you need to subsidise your travels along the way, check out working holiday visas in some of the countries you wish to visit. If you fancy volunteering, there are many worthwhile schemes that assist and enrich the local populations in poorer countries in return for free food and board.

Or if you’re just into partying on a beach or getting up to crazy stuff, that’s cool too. But whatever you do, make sure you have the right travel insurance in place to keep you safe and secure.

Big Cat’s travel insurance policies are designed for gap year travellers, backpackers, students, and people of all ages up to 69 years embarking on an extended trip abroad. We offer three great-value levels of cover - Budget, Standard and Premier - to suit your budget and the extent of the cover you require. 

Some FAQ's:

Home visits are allowed if your policy duration is 4 months or more. There are no limits, you can come home as many times as you like, for as long as you like.

To add any of our Activity Packs, just follow the Quote form - to stage 3 - there you will find all of the optional extras.

Non-manual/clerical work is covered automatically with a Big Cat policy. So, there’s nothing you need to add to be covered for things like teaching, caring or nursing.

With the Activity Pack, we can also cover work of a more manual nature. This can include things like WWOOFing, partaking in community or wildlife based conservation work, charity based supervised building / renovation projects or other permitted manual work (defined below).

Cover is excluded for any activity that involves the use of industrial machinery (other than tractors) or non-domestic power tools.

As Bar work is classed as Permitted Manual Work, you will need the Activity Pack to be covered  – even if you’re just pouring drinks! We’ve had cases before where employees of bars have been asked to move heavy crates of drinks, ended up injuring themselves, and not been covered. As that is classed as Manual Labour.

The Activity Pack will also cover you for a load of other things, see the list here.

WWOOfing is classed as Permitted Manual Work, so with the Activity Pack, you’re covered.

(see above)

Means WWOOFing, fruit picking, casual farm work or bar work. Permitted Manual Work is not covered if it involves the use of plant/trade/industrial/agricultural machinery (other than tractors) or non-domestic power tools.

Big Cat Travel Insurance Services, a trading name of Flynow.com Ltd (registration No.FRN 745388)  is an Appointed Representative of Campbell Irvine Ltd (registration No.306242) who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You may check this on the Financial Services register www.fca.org.uk or by contacting them on (0) 800 111 6768. © 2018 Big Cat Travel Insurance Services.  All rights reserved.