0333 003 3161

Get a Quote

Where do you live?
Are you already travelling?
Trip type
Cover Start Date:
Cover End Date:
Number of travellers
Travellers age(s)
Travelling as

Get Cover if Already Travelling

You don't need to be in your Home Country to get cover, you can buy a policy from anywhere in the world, as long as you're residential status is still in the UK or EU. Just follow the Quote form to get a price and complete your purchase.

Extend your Travel Insurance

If at any point you realise you're not quite ready to return home, you can extend your insurance to include the remainder of your trip. Even if you don't have a Policy with us.

Extend here

Working while abroad

Non manual / clerical work is covered for free, if you'll be volunteering, WWOOFing or partaking in any sort of manual labour - our Activity Pack can cover you.

Free Home Visits

If you feel homesick at any time, so long as your policy duration is more than 4 months, you can pop home to see family and friends at any time, however many times you choose.

Cover for 120+ Activities

Whether you'll be scuba diving, jet skiing, bungee jumping, sky diving, trekking above 2,500m or kayaking. Our Activity Packs can cover various levels of adventurous sports.


Winter Sports

Big Cat’s Winter Sports Extension provides great-value cover for those wishing to make the most of the snow. As well as standard skiing and snowboarding, you’ll be covered for cat skiing, snow skiing, cross-country skiing, off-piste skiing / snowboarding, and snowmobiling.

Cancellation & Baggage

24 hour Emergency

Up to £10m Medical

Claim while you're

Already Travelling Insurance

It’s not uncommon for people to head off on their travels only to realise they are not insured after departure, or to find out once they are already overseas that their travel insurance is about to run out. But don’t fret, Big Cat can still provide you with suitable already travelling insurance cover even though you’re already travelling abroad, or we can extend your insurance to cover the remainder of your travels.

Backpackers Travel InsuranceThe easiest way to do this is to book this on our website, but there are certain conditions that must be met. Firstly, you must be a UK or EEA passport holder and normally resident in the UK or an EEA member state. Secondly the policy cannot cover incidents that have already happened prior to having taken out the insurance, and no claims can be accepted for 48 hours after the policy has been issued, although in the event of a serious injury in connection with an accident, medical emergency treatment claims requiring in-patient treatment and occurring within the first 48 hours can be accepted if they are witnessed and verified by an independent third party.

Our Insurers AXA, is a French multinational insurance firm headquartered in Paris that engages in global insurance, investment management, and other financial services and joined the top 3 global financial services brands in 2016. The AXA Group operates primarily in Western Europe, North America, the Asia Pacific region, and the Middle East, with presence also in Africa. AXA is a conglomerate of independently run businesses, operated according to the laws and regulations of many different countries.

Annual Multi-trip policies can not be purchased if you are already travelling.

Key benefits of Already Travelling Insurance include:

  • Worldwide cover for policies up to 24 months, depending on your age and where you intend to visit.
  • Special discounts for long stay travel insurance for travel to Australia and/or New Zealand.
  • Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses up to £10 million on Premier policy.
  • Personal Liability up to £2 million on Premier policy.
  • Unlimited return trips home, subject to conditions.
  • No requirement to have a pre-booked itinerary.
  • Cover if you wish to undertake light-value or volunteer work.
  • Lots of adventure activities covered with our Activity Pack.
  • Facility to arrange or extend Insurance when already travelling.

Some FAQ's:

Non-manual/clerical work is covered automatically with a Big Cat policy. So, there’s nothing you need to add to be covered for things like teaching, caring or nursing.

With the Activity Pack, we can also cover work of a more manual nature. This can include things like WWOOFing, partaking in community or wildlife based conservation work, charity based supervised building / renovation projects or other permitted manual work (defined below).

Cover is excluded for any activity that involves the use of industrial machinery (other than tractors) or non-domestic power tools.

WWOOfing is classed as Permitted Manual Work, so with the Activity Pack, you’re covered.

(see above)

Home visits are allowed if your policy duration is 4 months or more. There are no limits, you can come home as many times as you like, for as long as you like.

As Bar work is classed as Permitted Manual Work, you will need the Activity Pack to be covered  – even if you’re just pouring drinks! We’ve had cases before where employees of bars have been asked to move heavy crates of drinks, ended up injuring themselves, and not been covered. As that is classed as Manual Labour.

The Activity Pack will also cover you for a load of other things, see the list here.

To add any of our Activity Packs, just follow the Quote form - to stage 3 - there you will find all of the optional extras.

Means WWOOFing, fruit picking, casual farm work or bar work. Permitted Manual Work is not covered if it involves the use of plant/trade/industrial/agricultural machinery (other than tractors) or non-domestic power tools.

Big Cat Travel Insurance Services, a trading name of Flynow.com Ltd (registration No.FRN 745388)  is an Appointed Representative of Campbell Irvine Ltd (registration No.306242) who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You may check this on the Financial Services register www.fca.org.uk or by contacting them on (0) 800 111 6768. © 2018 Big Cat Travel Insurance Services.  All rights reserved.